Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Ignorance

So I'm in this one class that is primarily discussions about world issues.

I'm cool with that, I guess. It's totally weird, but I've learned a lot, including about people.

In that class, a third of your grade is participation. You all know I don't like getting bad grades. So naturally, I try to contribute every day.

However, the other people in this class aren't like me. These kids are primarily not from rural backgrounds. We are on completely separate pages. Not that they aren't smart! They're really smart. Like, they're engineers, and architects, and anthropologists, and all of this. They know about all kinds of engineering and energy things I have no idea about. But they have not a clue about rural life. Not a clue. So when I try to bring that opposite side of the table (which I frequently do, because that's what I know), they don't get it. I've been laughed at, told I was wrong, ignored, whatever. That is so... not normal for me. And it's frustrating, because I know I have good points sometimes, but since I am from a completely different place than most of these other people, they can't see it.

So frustrating.

Example: one day, our class was complaining about the food we have available to us. So I said that we have options, for instance, we could grow our own, like we do at home. The class told me that was not possible, because people have jobs and lives. The next week in class we watched a video on basically localizing food sources, and then they thought it was a great idea.

So I'm sitting there, like what the hell? Am I not clear? What? Why? Why is my thought process so different from that movie?

I don't get it. It bugs me. I reeeaally don't like feeling dumb. I just want to get into my niche and take classes that I like that make me excited about learning the content. I want to be around people who understand where I'm coming from and what I mean.

I'm not that damn intellectual. I want people to have common sense and a sense of normalcy. To me, upper-middle class, suburban, left wing, engineers are not normal. Not that they're bad, but seriously, there's more than that in the world. Most of us are blue collar, hard working, common sense, down to earth, middle class people.

People who know what silage is, and people who understand the necessity of GMO crops to a growing global population.

Seriously needing an agronomy class,
Chrissy Joy. <3 p="p">

No comments:

Post a Comment