Well, I know I'm Catholic. Guess what, Catholics have a lot of rules. Some, I agree with. Some, I don't. The way I look at it, I am closer to God when I'm bawling my eyes out and screaming to Jesus in the car than I have ever felt in a church. If I can know my God, if I can really feel like I understand my religion, I feel like I can think for myself a little bit. As long as I understand where my church is coming from, I reserve the right to draw my own conclusions, do I not?
That being said, I do like being Catholic. It's all I really know. Well, I know other religions, too, it's just that I understand Catholicism. I get where they're coming from. Yeah, we're kind of uptight, but that makes sense to me. Religion is honestly the biggest possible deal in the world, so for that reason I understand the crazy antics and hoops we jump through. That has shaped me into the person I have become. That has built my character in more ways than just religion.
But because I can think for myself, I do not see a problem with gay marriage.
One very very simple reason for me thinking this is the separation between church and state. Legally, laws are not made because of religion. The entire reason there are Europeans on this continent are because of religious freedom. It is ignorant to create laws against something for a religious belief. Not everyone in America has the same religious views, and it is disrespectful to impose one on everyone.
Next, people make the case that every child deserves a mother and a father. However, there are major flaws in this argument. 1) Countless children are left motherless or fatherless or even both every single day. I do not see legislation being passed to outlaw that anytime soon. 2) There are hordes of incompetent parents all over. Drug addicts. Abusers. Sex offenders. Just plain stupid. There are also no laws against this, nor will there be.
On this same line, my cousin, Missy, married a woman a couple years ago, and Missy is probably one of the sweetest people I have ever met. I can guarantee that she would be an amazing mother, and so would her partner, if she is anything like her. They recently had a son, who I know will grow up with the same, if not better opportunities than other children in this country. I find it hard to blame, or even pass judgement on either one of these women. They are both smart, successful, competent people, and I wish them the very best.
As far as seeing gayness as a sin goes, I find this troublesome. I find it hard to accept the fact that God can punish someone for the way they love. Yes, there's also pedophilia, necrophilia, etc., but I see a clear line between these and being homosexual. A lot of people don't. Maybe I'm the one being ignorant here, it wouldn't be the first time. I simply cannot rationalize judging a gay person like that. To me, that's like judging someone because they're drawn to gingers or tall people or guys with mustaches. As long as no one is being hurt from it, I find no faults here.
That bothers me a bit, though, because the bible thumpin' Catholics say we should find fault in them. But is that really Christian? I mean, come one now! Let those without sin be the first to cast the stone! Acceptance, patience, love, isn't that what Jesus preached? Isn't that what they tell the kids in Sunday School, "God is love"? So if you're truly a Catholic, truly a Christian, would you not embrace the differences of your people? Would you not help them if they needed it? Would you not offer an arm to lean on while they face the slander of the outside world? Does that not mean that Christians should support gay marriage rather than shun it? That makes sense to me, at least.
Take this as you will, but that's just my thought process. I've known enough gay people to know they're just like other people, other than their sexual orientation. There's still good gay people. Because of this, I cannot merit making their decisions for them.
That's just the way I think.
The potentially terrible Catholic,
Chrissy Joy♥
No comments:
Post a Comment